Mono Connect FAQs
1. Why do I have a different account ID when a user links an account multiple times?
Each time the same account is linked multiple times, a unique account ID is generated for the connected account.
2. How can I get my public and secret keys?
To get your public and secret keys, you have to:
- Sign up on the Mono Dashboard,
- Navigate to the Apps tab on the sidebar,
- Click the ‘Create an app’ button to create an app,
- Then, click on the newly created app to see your public and secret keys.
3. How can you confirm that an account belongs to the same user?
You can verify that an account belongs to the same user by matching the user's BVN against what you already have saved in your database. Also, depending on your business use case, you might want to set up a validation policy to prevent users from linking an account multiple times, except if the account has been unlinked before.
4. Why does the data_status of a connected account show PROCESSING?
This happens because some banks are faster than others, so data may become available instantly after authorization, while others might take a few seconds or minutes to return the required data.
5. Why does the data_status of a connected account keep returning FAILED?
If data_status is returning FAILED, you can solve this by:
- Initiating data sync manually, then retrying the endpoint
- If the above returns reauthorization_required, then your customer will need to reauthorize before retrying the endpoint.
6. Why do I keep getting empty statement data?
The reason why you are getting empty statement data may be because the data is yet to be returned by the user’s bank and is still processing or the account is new and does not have any data. To confirm if the data for the connected account(s) is still processing or available, you can check the data_status via the account information endpoint or the account updated webhook, which notifies you when data is available for a connected account.
7. Is it possible to connect via API without using the Mono Connect widget?
Yes, it is possible. You can do this via the Mono Connect Partners API. You can get started here.
8. How do I get the temporary code?
After you implement the Mono Connect Widget in your application and an account is successfully linked, the temporary code will be returned from the onSuccess callback.
Note: The code will expire in 10 minutes.
9. After I get the temporary code, what should I do next?
Once you have gotten the temporary code, you need to make a POST request to the Exchange Token API with the code and your secret key so you can get an account ID which will then be used to make a request to the Mono Connect endpoints.
10. Does my account ID expire?
No, your account ID doesn’t have an expiration period, you can use it for as long as you want.
11. Why does my customer need to re-authorize?
Your customer may need to re-authorize if their bank requires Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) before they can enable access to their account.
12. Can a user link two or more accounts?
Yes, they can. A unique account ID is generated for each linked account.
13. How do I activate Data sync?
To activate data sync, you will have to log on to the Mono dashboard, navigate to Settings, select billings, click on subscription, and then add Data sync to your plan.
14. How do I set up Automatic Data Sync?
Once you have added Data Sync to your plan, you can reach out to us via [email protected] using your business email and we will activate Automatic Data Sync for your business.
15. How do I set up manual Data Sync?
After you have added Data Sync to your plan, you can call our Manual Data Sync endpoint here.
16. Why don’t I receive webhooks?
If you haven’t added a webhook URL to your App on the Mono Dashboard, then this may be the reason. If you haven’t done this, on your Mono dashboard, navigate to the App tab, select the preferred App, and then click the ‘Add webhook’ button to add your webhook URL.
17. How can I filter transactions as the keywords vary across different banks in their narration?
The best approach is to use our Transaction Metadata feature, which sorts each transaction made by the customer into their appropriate Transaction Category Type. You can also programmatically code a function on the backend to return the desired fields that you need from customers’ transactions.
18. What formats can I download collected statements in?
You can download the statement data collected in either a PDF or JSON format.
19. Can I get paginated data?
Yes, you can access paginated data. Check out this doc to learn more about this.
20. Can I limit the number of transactions returned per API call?
Yes, you can limit the number of transactions to be returned per API call. Learn more about how to do this, here.
21. Do I get charged each time Data Sync is initiated?
No, you will only be charged if there is new data returned on the connected account after Data Sync has been initiated.
Updated 10 months ago