BVN data via consent layer
To access an individual's Bank Verification Number (BVN) information, the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) mandates that the BVN holder gives their explicit consent. In recent times, more and more organizations are accessing BVN information to verify the identity of their customers.
This has led to concerns that some service providers may be collecting BVN data without obtaining the explicit consent of the BVN holder. As a result, it is crucial for customers to be aware of how their BVN information is being used and to ensure that their consent is obtained before any information is shared. This is an important step towards protecting personal data and maintaining privacy.
How does it work?
- Pass the BVN to the "Initiate BVN" endpoint.
- The customer selects their 2-factor authentication (2FA) method, either email or phone.
- The selected 2FA option is passed to the "Verify OTP" endpoint.
- An One-Time-Password (OTP) is sent to the user.
- The received OTP is then passed to the "Fetch BVN details" endpoint, which returns the BVN details.